Think outside the usual bouquet 0
Mother's Day is just around the corner and this year, let's give mom a fabulous gift designed just for her. No more predictable flowers.
This year, we are going to think outside the gift box and get creative and personal with our gifts. My daughter Sam and I recently put our heads together and compiled a list of ideas we hope will inspire you to give mom an extra special gift.
1. My mom loves it when I give her custom-designed front door planters. She's come to expect the trendiest planters on the block.
Even if the planter is the typical ceramic, resin or metal variety, raise the design bar by embellishing the front with a vintage brass door knocker, a painted wood moulding detail or even a wall sconce that can hold a candle.
2. Hire a local chef to give mom a private, in-house dinner party for her and a few friends. What a great evening and this can even include a cooking lesson. Wrap the certificate with a bottle of bubbly or even new kitchen linens.
3. Moms are busy people, so treat her to a day with a professional organizer. The organizer can help her get to those places that she just doesn't have time to clean out, clean up and organize.
4. We love books and recently interviewed author Angella Nazarian, who wrote Pioneers of the Possible. This is a great book that shares stories of 20 inspirational women: Estee Lauder, Mata Amritanandamayi and Ella Fitzgerald, just to name a few. A great book with a beautifully handwritten inscription from you, telling her how much she has inspired you, is truly priceless.
Speaking of books, I love the idea of creating a cookbook in her honour --all of mom's and her mom's favourite recipes in one volume.
5. Moms are notorious for not pampering themselves, so plan a spa day for mom and a friend or mom and you.
6. Give mom a beautiful picnic basket, complete with lunch for four, and have a great day enjoying a favourite local park.
7. Register yourself and mom in an art class, a wine tasting or a cake decorating class. Not only will you unleash all your creative energy, but you'll enjoy an evening together for the next six weeks.
8. I gave my mom an iPad at Christmas and she's addicted. She has apps for cooking, Sudoku, decorating and even gardening.
From us girls at Rock House, we wish all moms a most fabulous day!
Cheryll Gillespie is an award-winning designer with a passion for travel. Visit her online at www.cheryllgillespie.com